The human body is capable of doing some pretty amazing things and of course you have questions of why your body does certain things and we have the answers for you.
Here are 8 things you didn’t know your body could do:
8. When you shout, your brain kind of turns down your hearing so that you don’t deafen yourself. It’s all still somewhat the same volume when you hear it yourself.
7. Ever notice how when you’re in water for too long, your fingers start to prune up? That’s actually your body shifting to better grab things underwater.
6. Holding your breath can help you stop hiccups. It’s said if you build up carbon dioxide in your body, by not exhaling, it will help stop your diaphragm from spasming which causes the hiccups!
5. Even if you had braces as a kid, your teeth are going to shift as you age. A lot of this has to do with loss of the bone behind the gums that occurs with aging. If you lose enough bone – which can be pushed by smoking or gum-disease, your teeth can shift.
4. When your stomach growls, it’s actually begging for food. You probably knew that. The sound of digestive juices churning and stomach muscles contracting as they get prepped for food is usually what you’re hearing. Just feed yourself!
3. Here are some tricks you can try with your friends or by yourself: Have a friend sit in a chair and you put your finger on their forehead. Ask them to stand up without using their hands…then watch the mighty force of your finger make it impossible for them.
2. You can feel like you’re falling through the floor with this trick – lie face down as dead weight with your arms above your head, have a friend take your wrists and hold your upper body at a 45 degree angle for about two minutes and then have your friend lower your arms very slowly and gently place them on the floor….you’ll feel like you’re falling through the floor.
1. If you hold a paper towel tub or rolled up paper to one eye and hold your free hand out in front of the other eye about several inches from your face, your mind will trick you into having x-ray vision.
Have fun trying these tricks with your friends – isn’t it amazing what your body can do?!